Address Sign

True Confession Time: I actually completed this project over the summer, but it’s taken me this long to take the ‘after’ picture! Silly, I know, but at least this way you get to see our new storm door. Yes, I really said that. I’m excited about a storm door! Who would have thought?! But this one doesn’t slam closed, it actually keeps cold air out, and it lets in a lot of light! That’s pretty exciting.

Anyway, back to the point of this post.

At some point in our old house’s history, when electricity was either added or updated, someone put these two big junction boxes just next to the front.

IMG_1723.JPG

They’re ugly. So I’ve been intending to cover them. Thank you, lovely Pinterest, for the plethora of ideas so freely provided! After much searching and deliberation, I decided on an address sign to cover the ugliness… Well some of it, at least! I couldn’t make the sign THAT big!

IMG_1721.JPG

This little address sign was super easy to make, and I was able to use scrap wood from the window table project, so it didn’t cost a dime – yay! But if you wanted one like it for yourself, you could easily whip it up for $20 or less. You’d just need a 1×2 and a 1×4, screws, stain, and paint.

IMG_1862.JPG

After cutting the wood to your desired size (Mine’s about 14 inches tall – I just eyeballed it.), lay it all out. Make sure you cut a couple extra pieces for the back to hold it all together!

IMG_1863.JPG

Then you can start screwing! I think my screws were about one and a quarter inches, and I did predrill. You can see the drill bit in the photo!

IMG_1864.JPG

Once all the pieces are attached, it’s time for the fun part – stenciling and painting! I created my stencil on the computer and printed it in poster mode so it would fill all the space. The idea is to trace over the stencil with a ball point pen, pushing hard, so there are actually indentions in the surface of the wood. That will create a little reservoir that will keep the paint in, helping you achieve smooth, clean lines for your letters and numbers.

IMG_1865.JPG

This is one step I messed up on, though. Tracing the letters went great, but I really should have done it after I painted the base coat on! Oops! Tracing before made it a little difficult to see the lines.

IMG_1867.JPG

I wanted a lot of stain to show through on my sign, so I painted it very sparsely, but that’s not a requirement. Once the base color is on, it’s pretty easy to fill in the letters and numbers, though I still recommend doing the tracing at this point in the process.

IMG_1866.JPG

Once the letters and numbers are dry, the whole piece can be coated with stain.

IMG_1869.JPG

You can see what a difference the stain makes! I used a can of Minwax Dark Walnut that was left from a past project.
IMG_1871.JPG

Then the whole things needs a coat of sealer, if it’s going outside like mine, and it’s ready to hang!

IMG_1719.JPG

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Outside and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s